Widely recognized practitioner Fernando Del Castillo has been previously ranked by Chambers in Band 1 for bankruptcy and restructuring in Mexico. Fernando is considered a leading lawyer in contentious bankruptcy mandates. He specializes in insolvency, civil and mercantile litigation and is active in both litigation and arbitration matters. Before founding Del Castillo y Castro Abogados, Fernando worked at Santamarina y Steta since 1993, where he was appointed partner in 2002.
With more than 20 years of experience, Fernando has broad experience in counseling major domestic and foreign companies in arbitration proceedings held in Mexico and abroad in matters that involved civil, commercial, construction, and insurance law, among other areas. He has successfully participated in matters related to dealership agreements abroad and several arbitrations related to conflicts among shareholders, energy, joint ventures, software licenses, and insurance. Fernando has also participated in judicial proceedings related to the recognition and enforcement of arbitration awards, both Mexican and foreign.
Fernando is an active member of the Consultation Committee of the Arbitration Commission of the CANACO and the Arbitration Commission of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
He has a law degree from Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and a Master in Corporate Law 2016 from Universidad Panamericana, Mexico. He is fluent in Spanish and English.
- Licenciatura en Derecho 1993, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico.
- Maestría en Derecho de Empresas 2016, Universidad Panamericana, Mexico.
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
Highlights of recent representations include
- Successfully defended John Deere against a major damages claim concerning the termination of a distribution agreement.
- Represented Peñafiel Aguas Minerales in a dispute with joint venture partner Acqua Minerale San Bendetto, which went to arbitration.
- Assisted Siemens in an arbitration process, obtaining a successful enforcement of an arbitration award against Pemex.
- Served as the foreign representative of Tesla Inc. in connection with the arbitration procedure filed by Diaz Arelle against Tesla Inc.
- Adviser to Banco Mercantil del Norte in the matters related to Concursos Mercantiles and Chapter XI under the US bankruptcy law regarding the procedures follow by M&G USA Corporation.
- Assisted Grupo Vasconia in an arbitration process, obtaining a successful award against LAG Laminati Aluminio Gallarate SPA and AL Met Invest.
Contactfdelcastillo@dc-ca.mx + 52 (55) 4172 5500
Mexico City, Mexico